COVID-19 Updates & Resources
The City of South El Monte is actively monitoring the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health is the lead authority for all public health emergencies in our City and County.
We advise residents and businesses to follow all recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as well as local orders from the California Department of Public Health and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
Please visit the links below for resources and up to date information from these agencies.
- City Hall is operating its regular business hours: Monday thru Thursday, 7:00 am to 5:30 pm. Closed on Major Holidays.
- Temporary closure of the South El Monte Senior Center until further notice. For our regular Elderly Nutrition Program participants of South El Monte, they will receive five frozen meals a week. For more information, call the Senior Center at 626-448-0131, Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.
- The South El Monte Community Center is only open for its Summer Day Camp, Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 6 pm.
- The Aquatic Center, skate park, tennis and basketball courts will remain closed until further notice.
- All parks (Mary Van Dyke, New Temple Park, and Shively Park) will remain closed to the general public until further notice.
- Street sweeping parking enforcement has resumed. (Effective July 1, 2020)
- All City special events have been cancelled until further notice.
We apologize for any inconvenience these measures may have caused, however the well-being of our community and staff is the City’s highest priority. Please visit our Facebook page for updates as well.
Outdoor Dining & Operations Temporary Use Permits
In response to economic hardship and capacity limitations due to COVID-19, the City of South El Monte is authorizing (subject to permit conditions) the temporary expansion of outdoor dining and salon or barber operations on private and public property. To obtain a permit, please submit a completed application with all materials as described in the guidelines.
For additional information, contact our Planning Division at (626) 579-6540 ext.3201.
South El Monte COVID-19 Assistance Grant Program for Residents & Businesses
The City is awarding a one-time $1,000 rental or mortgage assistance grant to 130 South El Monte residents and a $5,000 small business assistance grant to 24 small businesses who have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
These grants will be issued on a “first come, first served” basis and only to eligible recipients.
The open application period begins on Monday, June 1, 2020 at 7:00 am.
Eligible applicants must call the South El Monte COVID-19 Assistance hotline at (626) 652-6800 to sign up.
Walk ups will not be accepted.
To view eligibility requirements, please select the program you are interested in:
LA County COVID-19 Rent Relief
In an effort to assist renters with limited means affected by the COVID-19 crisis, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors has provided $100 million in Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act funds to create LA County COVID-19 Rent Relief, operated by the Los Angeles County Development Authority (LACDA).
The Program launches on Monday, August 17, 2020, and will remain open for a two-week period, closing on Monday, August 31, 2020. Applications can be submitted during this time through 211LA at 211la.org/lacounty/rentrelief or by dialing 2-1-1.
For questions, visit https://wwwa.lacda.org/programs/rent-relief