COVID-19 Updates & Resources
The City of South El Monte is actively monitoring the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health is the lead authority for all public health emergencies in our City and County.
We advise residents and businesses to follow all recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as well as local orders from the California Department of Public Health and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
Please visit the links below for resources and up to date information from these agencies.
- Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
- California Department of Public Health
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Los Angeles County Department of Consumer and Business Affairs
- Los Angeles County residents can also call 2-1-1
- Los Angeles County COVID-19 Updates
- Reopening Protocols from Los Angeles County of Public Health
- State of California COVID-19 Guidance
- Federal Guidance
- City Hall is operating its regular business hours: Monday thru Thursday, 7:00 am to 5:30 pm. Closed on Major Holidays. If you plan to visit City Hall, a face coverings and social distancing is required. Please do not visit City Hall if you have the following symptoms: fever, cough or shortness of breath.
- City Council Meetings are conducted virtually and live-streamed on our website. The City Council Chambers is closed to the public. For upcoming meetings, agendas, and information on how to participate in the meetings, visit https://www.cityofsouthelmonte.org/129/City-Council-Agendas-Minutes
- Building and Safety Division Modified Hours (Effective October 6, 2020):
- Mondays: 7 am to 5 pm Non-Appointment Hours
- Tuesday through Thursday:
- 7:30 am to 11:30 pm By Appointment Only
- Closed 12 pm to 1 pm on Tuesdays
- 1 pm to 5 pm Non-Appointment Hours
- To schedule an appointment, please call (626) 579-6540 ext. 3275.
- Senior Meals: For our regular Elderly Nutrition Program participants of South El Monte, they receive five frozen meals a week for a suggested donation of $10. For more information, call the Senior Center at 626-448-0131, Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.
- Recreation Facility Closures: The following facilities are closed until further notice: Aquatic Center, Community Center, Senior Center, Boxing Gym, Basketball Courts, and Reservation Halls.
- City Parks: All City parks (Mary Van Dyke, New Temple and Shively) have reopened to the general public with restrictions (Effective October 3,2020) . View restrictions.
- Street sweeping parking enforcement has resumed. (Effective July 1, 2020)
- Yard/Garage Sales are Not allowed in the City until further notice, in accordance with the LA County Department of Public Health.
- Business Licenses (New/Renewal) are done online
- Report Issues in the community: online or via the smartphone app; GORequest.
*Please be advised that City hours and operations are subject to change due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
We apologize for any inconvenience these measures may have caused, however the well-being of our community and staff is the City’s highest priority. Please visit our Facebook page for updates as well.
Temporary Outdoor Dining & Operations Use Permits
In response to economic hardship and capacity limitations due to COVID-19, the City of South El Monte is authorizing (subject to permit conditions) the temporary expansion of outdoor dining and salon or barber operations on private and public property. To obtain a permit, please submit a completed application with all materials as described in the guidelines.
For additional information, contact our Planning Division at (626) 579-6540 ext.3201.
South El Monte COVID-19 Assistance Grant Program for Residents & Businesses
The City is awarding a one-time $1,000 rental or mortgage assistance grant to 130 South El Monte residents and a $5,000 small business assistance grant to 24 small businesses who have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
These grants will be issued on a “first come, first served” basis and only to eligible recipients.
The open application period begins on Monday, June 1, 2020 at 7:00 am.
Eligible applicants must call the South El Monte COVID-19 Assistance hotline at (626) 652-6800 to sign up.
Walk ups will not be accepted.
To view eligibility requirements, please select the program you are interested in: