The Housing Division assists the general public with acquisition of residential property, provide aide in maintaining and rehabilitating the existing housing stock within the City. The Housing Division oversees the maintenance and update to the City’s Housing Element.

The Housing Element is one of at least seven elements of a General Plan as mandated by the State of California. It identifies the City’s housing conditions and needs (RHNA), establishes the goals, objectives, and policies that are the foundation of the City’s housing and growth strategy, and provides for programs the City intends to implement to create sustainable, mixed-income neighborhoods throughout the City.

Housing Element Updates

Housing Resources 

Landlord-Tenant concerns, evictions, rent control, rent increase, please find the below information as a resource:

  • Housing Counselors are available at the Housing Rights Center (HRC): Questions about your housing rights? Call 1-800-477-5977 or visit  housingrightscenter.org
  • Neighborhood Legal Services of Los Angeles (NLSLA) offer Free Housing Legal Services, Call 1-800-433-6251 or visit their local office at 3629 Santa Anita Avenue Suite #109, El Monte. 
  • For self-help with California Courts information, visit their website: courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-housing.htm
  • For repairs needed in your rental, please see view: How can I get my landlord to make repairs? (PDF)
  • If you live in Los Angeles County and you have problems with mice, bedbugs, roaches or mold, call the Los Angeles Department of Public Health at 1-888-700-9995 or visit the local office at 1435 West Covina Pkwy, Room 5, West Covina, phone: (626) 813-3346.
  • Rent Control: The City of South El Monte does not have rent control.  Although the City does not have rent control, both County (Los Angeles) and State (California) landlord-tenant laws apply.

Mortgage Assistance

  • Applications are currently being accepted through Housing Is Key: Resources for renters, landlords and homeowners visit housing.ca.gov

Down Payment Assistance (Second/Subordinate Loan Program)

Government Loans (First Mortgage Programs)

  • CalHFA offers FHA & Conventional loans, visit their website for more information: CalHFA Loans

Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) Grants/Funding