*Update 5/16/2022 - Housing Element Revisions (Public Comment) See link below
Landlord-Tenant concerns, evictions, rent control, rent increase, please find the below information as a resource:
- Housing Counselors are available at the Housing Rights Center (HRC): Questions about your housing rights? Call 1-800-477-5977 or visit housingrightscenter.org
- Neighborhood Legal Services of Los Angeles (NLSLA) offer Free Housing Legal Services, Call 1-800-433-6251 or visit their local office 3629 Santa Anita Avenue Suite #109, El Monte, CA 91731
- For self-help with California Courts information, visit their website: https://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-housing.htm
- For repairs needed in your rental, please see the attached flyer: How can I get my landlord to make repairs?
- If you live in Los Angeles County and you have problems with mice, bedbugs,
roaches or mold, call the Los Angeles Department of Public Health at 1-888-700-9995 or visit the local office at 1435 West Covina Pkwy, Room 5, West Covina CA 91790 phone (626) 813-3346.
Please note: The City of South El Monte does not have rent control. Although the City does not have rent control, both County (Los Angeles) and State (California) landlord-tenant laws apply.
State law protects some tenants from eviction for unpaid rent due from March 1, 2020 to March 31, 2022
Tenants are protected from eviction if they're waiting for a decision on a government rental assistance application. As of April 1, 2022, the state is no longer accepting rental assistance applications.
- Applications are currently being accepted through Housing Is Key: Resources for renters, landlords and homeowners visit housing.ca.gov
Down Payment Assistance (Second/Subordinate Loan Program)
- State Funded Programs include: My Home Assistance Program
- County Funded Programs include: Home Ownership Program (HOP)
Government Loans (First Mortgage Programs)
- CalHFA offers FHA & Conventional loans, visit their website for more information: CalHFA Loans
Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) Grants/Funding
- CalHFA offers an ADU grant program, visit their website for more information: https://www.calhfa.ca.gov/adu/index.htm
San Gabriel Valley Service Center, 1441 Santa Anita Avenue, South El Monte CA 91733/ Phone (626) 575-5431
- Form Completion Assistance: Weds-Fri 8:00A-4:30P
- Pantry Program: Wednesdays 8:30A-10:30A and Fridays 2:00P-4:30P
- Landlord Tenant / Consumer Affairs Department: Fridays 8:30A-4:30P
- Cal-Fresh & Medi-Cal Assistance: 3rd & 4th Friday of Every Month
For additional housing resources visit our COVID-19 Housing Resources webpage https://www.calhfa.ca.gov/homebuyer/programs/myhome.htm
The Housing Division assists the general public with acquisition of residential property, provide aide in maintaining and rehabilitating the existing housing stock within the City. The Housing Division oversees the maintenance and update to the City’s Housing Element.
The Housing Element is one of at least seven elements of a General Plan as mandated by the State of California. It identifies the City’s housing conditions and needs (RHNA), establishes the goals, objectives, and policies that are the foundation of the City’s housing and growth strategy, and provides for programs the City intends to implement to create sustainable, mixed-income neighborhoods throughout the City.
- 2014 through 2021 City of South El Monte Housing Element 5th Cycle Update (PDF)
- Housing Element - Annual Element Progress Reports