Items Not Accepted

Do Not Place In Containers

State law prohibits the disposal of hazardous material into your containers.  For proper disposal options, click here. Athens Services also ask that you do not place bulky items, construction debris, electronic waste, or automotive parts in your containers.

The following is a list of items you should not place in your containers:

Automotive Parts Electronic Waste Pharmaceuticals/Over the Counter Medicines 
Batteries  LED Lights Pool Chemicals 
Cleaning Products  Medical Waste  Radiological Waste
Construction & Demolition Waste Paints, Solvents, & Thinners Syringes or Sharps 
Fluorescent Lightbulbs & Tubes  Pesticides or Herbicides  Thermometers/Thermostats
Used Motor Oil     

Electronic Waste Examples:

Electronics can include those devices that utilize electrical wiring, plug into  an electric outlet, or take a battery or light bulb. Examples include (but are not limited to): computers and accessories, circuit boards, extension cords, flashlights, microwaves, phones, stereos, and televisions.

Construction and Demolition:

Waste material generated during the construction, renovation, or demolition of a location cannot be placed in a standard cart or bin. Examples of C&D materials include, but are not limited to, asphalt, bricks, carpet, concrete, dirt, doors, drywall, earth, glass, construction, and cabinet lumber, masonry materials, pallets, pipes, plastics, plumbing fixtures, rocks, salvaged building components, scrap metal, roof shingles, tile, and windows.

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

HHW is any product labeled toxic, poisonous, corrosive, flammable, combustible, or an irritant. Examples include, but are not limited to, antifreeze, automotive fluids, cleaning products, compressed gas cylinders (full or empty), fertilizers, herbicides, paint, pesticides, pool chemicals, solvents, and more. 

Universal Waste (U-Waste)

U-Waste primarily comes from consumer products containing mercury, lead, cadmium, and other substances that are hazardous to human health and the environment. Examples include, but are not limited to, batteries, compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs), fluorescent light tubes, thermometers, thermostats, various electronic devices, and more. U-waste can be considered part of hazardous waste. 

Electronic Waste (E-Waste)

E-Waste includes those devices that utilize electrical wiring, plug into an electric outlet, or require a battery or light bulb. Examples include, but are not limited to, computers and accessories, circuit boards, extension cords, flash lights, microwaves, phones, stereos, televisions, and more. 

Large/Bulky Items

 Athens Services encourages the reuse and donation of bulky items whenever possible. If this is not an option, Athens will, upon request only, remove bulky items, including major appliances and furniture. Please do not place bulky items or electronics in your trash containers. Doing so may cause an interruption in your service. 

For bulky items options and to learn how to schedule a pickup, view here

Proper Disposal Options 

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) & Universal Waste (U-Waste)

HHW and U-Waste should be disposed of at a Los Angeles County Department of Public Works sponsored collection events or at a permanent disposal facility. For additional information, call 1(888)CLEAN LA or visit 

Recycling Services at  the City of South El Monte Public Works Yard

South El Monte residents may recycle the following items at the City's Public Works with an appointment. Proof of residency is required.

  • E-Waste
  • Used Oil: Oil filters must be drained for 12 hours prior to recycling. Store your used oil and filter in a leak-proof container. Do not mix oil with gasoline, automotive fluids, other liquids or debris as contamination makes them hazardous and unrecyclable. 

To schedule your appointment to drop off items for recycling or for additional information, please call the City's Customer Care line at (626) 242-1666. 

Paint Recycling 

California residents and businesses can now recycle leftover paint for free at local retail stores.  For locations and program details, visit or call 855-724-6809.

Construction & Demolition Debris

Construction and demolition debris including, but not limited to: dirt, concrete, tile, drywall and rock, etc., contact Athens Services or visit